Ways to Give › A Gift of Securities
Donating publicly traded securities is an easy alternative to cash and can provide an even greater tax benefit.
Canada Revenue Agency does not tax the capital gain on securities when they are donated. This results in double saving – first, no taxes on the capital gain, and second, a tax receipt for the full amount of the donation that can be used to reduce taxation on other income.
Gifts of securities are considered to be made on the day the transfer is completed.
Securities gifted to the Foundation through Wills can result in a reduction in taxable income on the final return and an increase in the amount of tax credit that can be used to offset the Estate’s other taxable income.
How to make your gift of securities:
- Download a Share Transfer Form
- Complete all sections, especially the CUSIP# which is provided by your broker/investment advisor and identifies your transaction to avoid delays.
- Provide a copy of the completed form to your broker/investment advisor who will be responsible for the transfer.
- Provide a copy of the completed form to Ridge Meadows Hospital Foundation. Forms can be sent by email or mailed to:
Maureen Pain, Development Coordinator
Ridge Meadows Hospital Foundation
11666 Laity Street, Maple Ridge BC V2X 7G5
- Call us at 604.463.1822 (dial 0 to bypass automation) or email us to let us know to expect your donation.
Your receipt will be valued based on the closing price on the date when the shares are legally transferred to the Foundation’s account at our custodial agent, RBC Dominion Securities, and are accepted by the Foundation. Shares are considered legally only when delivery is confirmed by our custodial agent.